NEW YORK STATE COURT OF APPEALS HALL
ALBANY, NEW YORK
Court of Appeals Hall was originally constructed between 1832 and 1842 as State Hall. The building underwent modification in 1917 to accommodate the Court of Appeals, and an addition was constructed to house the 1884 courtroom designed by renown architect H. H. Richardson, originally constructed in the State Capitol Building.
In 1999, the DeWolff Partnership Architects was selected to program and design space for the future needs of the state’s highest court. The new design adds 22,000 square feet of floor area in two intricately-designed additions, and a 120-car parking garage, which closely reflect the majestic Greek Revival style of the original building. The white marble exterior facade of the additions and bronze windows match the materials of the existing building. Marble detailing will differentiate the new work from the existing, yet maintain the classical motif. New interior design and finishes complement the traditional interior style of the building. The project includes a complete replacement of the mechanical, electrical, plumbing and security systems to provide a state-of-the-art building infrastructure.
DeWolff Architects: Designers for Law Enforcement, Justice and Forensics.